Did you know that blood cannot be manufactured? In this age of advanced pharmaceutical and biological product development, that comes as quite a surprise to many; but it is true. The American Red Cross faces blood shortages.
According to the American Red Cross website:
- One pint of blood can save three lives.
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell (RBC) transfusion is approximately three pints.
- More than 1.68 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2016. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
Ms. Jennifer Marcum, Sentry BioPharma Services’ CEO, acknowledges the need by stating, ” Blood can only come from generous donors. There are approximately 7 million blood donors in the U.S. A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days. Most people don’t think they will need blood, but there is a tremendous continual need.”
Ms. Marcum continues, “Proper blood storage and temperature-sensitive product shipping is of great importance to the blood supply chain. After donated whole blood passes processing and testing, red blood cells are stored in refrigerators at 6°C for up to 42 days. Blood used in an emergency must be readily available on the shelves before the event occurs. Effective cold chain management protects the biological product’s integrity.”
Sentry BioPharma Services offer biological product storage to pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and organizations with need for validated refrigerated (+2°C to +8°C) storage and temperature-sensitive product shipping services. For more information about how Sentry’s GMP warehouse can help protect the integrity of the blood supply chain and biological products in general, contact Sentry via email or by phone at 1-866-757-7400.