Tag Archives: breast cancer research

Sentry team to participate in the 2019 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure ®

This Saturday, April 27th, 2019 several Sentry BioPharma Services team members will be proudly participating in the 2019 Komen Central Indiana Race for the Cure ®. 

Over the years this event has raised more than $2 billion dollars to help fund research, education, screening and treatment.  This event is unique in that 100% of the net proceeds are invested in the Komen mission.  25% of all funds go towards research to learn about the biology of breast cancer, advance new screening technologies, develop better treatment protocols and combat metastatic disease.  The remaining 75% is invested in locally through a community grants program.  Last year $697,047 was invested in 9 local breast health programs and provide 40,000 services within a 41-county service area in Indiana.

Our team realizes that fundraising is critical to helping breast cancer patients living right here in central Indiana.  These sobering statistics from the Central Indiana Susan G. Komen website help to bring that need even more into focus.

  • 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
  • Every 19 seconds, somewhere in the world, a case of breast cancer is diagnosed.
  • Every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer.
  • Every 13 minutes, one woman in the U.S will lose her life to breast cancer.
  • At the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths will occur around the world in the next 25 years.

Sentry is determined to take action and this event is our chance to support the Komen organization in its efforts to end breast cancer forever. 

For more info on how you can help please visit the Susan G. Komen® website.

Bring Your Brave: Breast Cancer Awareness Month Begins Today!

braveDid you know that one in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime?  At that current rate, that means 13 million breast cancer deaths around the world will occur in the next 25 years.

The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are gender (being female) and age (growing older).  Other factors can be changed by making choices. By choosing the healthiest lifestyle options possible, you can empower yourself and make sure your breast cancer risk is as low as possible.

Reduce Risk Factors:

  • Do not smoke
  • Drink alcohol in moderation
  • Exercise at least three hours per week or about 30 minutes a day
  • Eat a nutritious, low-fat diet (30 grams or less) with plenty of fruits and green and orange vegetables

The National Breast Cancer Foundation launches the annual campaign by raising awareness during the month of October.  The endeavor begins today, October 1, 2016 and lasts through the end of the month.  Getting a high-quality screening mammogram and having a clinical breast exam on a regular basis are the most effective ways to detect breast cancer early.

Early Detection Strategies:

  1. Recognize signs & symptoms
  2. Perform a monthly breast self-exam (BSE)
  3. Have an annual clinical breast exam
  4. Screen for abnormalities with a mammogram

The American College of Radiology (ACR) has established a uniform way for radiologists to describe mammogram findings. The system, called BI-RADS, includes seven standardized categories, or levels. Each BI-RADS category has a follow-up plan associated with it to help radiologists and other physicians appropriately manage a patient’s care.

bi-rads

Some state and local health programs and employers provide mammograms free or at low cost. For example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) coordinates the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. This program provides screening services, including clinical breast exams and mammograms, to low-income, uninsured women throughout the United States and in several U.S. territories. Contact information for local programs is available on the CDC website or by calling 1–800–CDC–INFO (1–800–232–4636).

Information about free or low-cost mammography screening programs is also available from the National Cancer Institute’s (NCI’s) Cancer Information Service at 1–800–4–CANCER (1–800–422–6237) and from local hospitals, health departments, women’s centers, or other community groups.

For more information: